As we approach the upcoming summer on the road, we are in search of dog friendly hikes that are still excellent hiking and backpacking opportunities – not just boring, paved, view-deprived routes.
So, we’ve put together this list from our research of places that represent dog-friendly hiking opportunities, so far.
Here’s the list:
- CA, Near Sequoia: Nelder Grove – giant sequoias in the Shadow of the Giants trail
- CA, Near Sequoia: Converse Basin Grove – giant sequoias, Boole tree; 2.5 mile loop
- AZ, Grand Canyon: “everywhere above the rim” – more from GC NPS
- WA – Near North Cascades: Ross Lake National Recreation area; Lake Chelan Recreation area: Diablo Lake trails; Thunder Knob (4 miles + , suspension bridge, views of lake); East Bank (17 miles along lake shore)
- CA, Mt Whitney – ~8.2 miles up Whitney Portal to Trail Crest (lakes, campgrounds accessible on this route)
- Sections of the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), John Muir Trail:
- National Forest/Recreation sections – Ansel Adams Wilderness, California
- CO, Great Sand Dunes National Park – pets ok
- CO, Black Canyon of the Gunnison: allowed on the Rim Rock Trail, Cedar Point Nature Trail, and North Rim Chasm View Nature Trail (more at Black Canyon NPS)
- CANADA – leashed Pets OK in all National Parks ! (see Canada National Park Rules)
Lillee’s National Park Adventures